Friday, February 20, 2004

Powell's Books - The Awakening of Zen by D T Suzuki
"But this much I think we can say, that Zen is a kind of self-consciousness. I see a table before me. I know I am the one who sees it, and I am fully conscious of myself experiencing the event. But Zen is not here yet, something more must be added to it, or must be discovered in it, in order to make this event of seeing really Zen. The question is now: what is this something? It is in all likelihood that which turns my eye inside out and sees itself, not as a reflection, but as a kind of superself which is hidden behind the moral and psychological self. I call this discovery spiritual self-consciousness. No amount of explanation will bring you to this form of self-consciousness. It unfolds itself from the depths of consciousness. No hammering at the door from outside will open it -- it opens by itself from within."

1 comment:

James Burton @ spiritintheworld.org said...

Any doors opening these days, Buck? Had a moment today when I understood I was the same, non-self experiencing eye I had been as a young boy. Liberating and clarifying.
Jeem