Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I have this theory: human beings like order. It is comforting to us because our brains are designed to see patterns. So when we can order things or see signs of order, we feel better, safer. This is why human societies tend towards dictatorships. Especially when the society is afraid, the people want order; visible, palable order. When our normal patterns of behavior are threatened, or perceived to be threatened, we want someone ANYONE to tell us and show us that something is being done and it doesn't look like we really care what that something might be.

I say this because I read somewhere (and I really looked for the link for quite a while) that Bob Woodward was writing a new book about something or other and he said something like "I wouldn't count Dick Cheney out for 2008. He's an old warhorse and Republicans love old warhorses." After cleaning up the mess around my keyboard and monitor, I considered the prospect and it occurred to me that if he ran today, I don't really see any reason at all that he would lose. Against anybody else. In my circles at least, and admittedly they may not be stellar circles, and from what I read and see, people are still very much afraid of something. And the devil you know is mighty mighty comforting to folks who live in fear.

No comments: