Thursday, August 22, 2013

Big Wheel Keeps On Turning: Elvis Costello Interviewed

"EC: Well, there was really no plan in my mind to make any more recordings after National Ransom, because quite honestly, and not to be morbid, I know that I don't have an endless amount of time left, and I was trying to divide it up for the best of my mental and emotional health. The plan was to just pursue my vocation as a performing musician, which I do really well, and that's how I make my living. I couldn't honestly justify the time away from my family to make records, even at that high level. National Ransom has The Imposters and [bluegrass A-listers] The Sugarcanes on it, the two best bands I've ever worked with, you can't actually work with any better musicians. On top of that, there's the best producer in the world [T Bone Burnett] who happens to be my friend, as close as a brother, and it's difficult to imagine ever trumping that. It was one of the two or three records of mine that I will always value above all others; I like the contents of all the other albums, in terms of the songs, but I can't say I like the way the records sound, retrospectively."

No comments: