Tuesday, January 09, 2018

Greta Gerwig Comments on Woody Allen Sexual Assault Allegations – Variety

“I can only speak for myself and what I’ve come to is this: If I had known then what I know now, I would not have acted in the film. I have not worked for him again, and I will not work for him again. Dylan Farrow’s two different pieces made me realize that I increased another woman’s pain, and I was heartbroken by that realization. I grew up on his movies, and they have informed me as an artist, and I cannot change that fact now, but I can make different decisions moving forward.”

So sad to hear this from a woman I had thought was an intelligent and thoughtful person. Apparently she is confused as to the meaning of the word "allegation". An allegation that was refuted 25 years ago:

DF: Why is it that Harvey Weinstein and other accused celebrities have been cast out by Hollywood, while Allen [continues working]?

RW: It’s called due process. It was carried out in 1992 when two separate investigations found there was no credibility to Mia’s accusations, so no charges were ever brought against Allen. He lost the custody battle, but as a legal matter, the assault accusation has been a non-issue for 25 years. The fact that there are members of the Farrow family and others who remain angry at Allen is not a basis for studios to stop funding his movies, or for his fans to stop attending them.


Here's the full essay. I hope Ms. Gerwig gets a chance to read it.

No comments: