Wednesday, November 10, 2004

STLtoday - Sports - Rams
“We don’t hold hands, get in a stance and sing Kumbaya My Lord. I’m not into that. We have a direction we’re going. You’re on the train or you’re not. If not, get out, period. I know where we’re going. I know where I’m going. You’re either with me or you’re not. Anything else? OK, thanks.”

A refreshing change to see Mike Martz actually mad at a press conference. This is long overdue. Martz is what they call a "player's" coach meaning that he treats his players as adult human beings and not like pieces of meat. Some players respond well to that like Faulk, Holt, Bruce, Bulger, Warner and on and on. Others, like a number of #1 picks on the defensive line, some linebackers, some safeties don't. I think the defensive players have no respect for Larry Marmie and just won't play for him. As for the offensive problems, I blame the play calling which has been atrocious except for the first half of the San Francisco game. The Rams fell into the trap of trying to hit the Patriots where they were hurting, the secondary. The Pats compensated, maybe too much, with a furious pass rush all day long. They needed some more touches for powerful Steven Jackson who was used very sparingly. He could have taken some of the rush out of the Pats' D line with a dozen or so runs right at them. Wear them down a bit. We shall see if the new attitude of the head coach translates into any action on the field this Sunday against Seattle.

No comments: