Wednesday, January 03, 2007

A note on self-realization:

Most times I need to be hit over the head with an observation about myself repeatedly and over a long period of time before it becomes apparent to me. And sometimes, with a little luck and a lot of awareness training, you get an insight that cuts through all the crap and hits you right in the mouth. It is at those times that I need to make sure I am paying attention and not try to rationalize it away. Forgiving yourself is important, but accepting reality when it is right there in front of you is more important. Because it won't be there long. Remember, your brain is designed for movement and deception and it is very, very good at both of those things.

The point is: you're a liar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buck,

I like this one. Very honest. But why do you say, "it won't be there long?" Be careful not to be cynical. When one of those sorts of truths hits you in the way you suggest it is the result of some level of openness or willingness to see. A choice. Those won't go away unless one chooses to ignore them. And a reflective person will know he is doing that!

Buck Turgidson said...

At my particular state of self realization, believe me, truths don't sit there waiting for me to stumble over them. As soon as I am able to see one and examine it, low, low level brain survival functions take over and get me the hell out of its way so I can get back to my routine. Sure, I can "choose" to stay there, and maybe someday after many more years of training I will have that ability, but it's not an easy thing to fight against your brain's built-in self preservation functions. Not for me yet anyway.