Sunday, June 12, 2005

Memo: U.S. Lacked Full Postwar Iraq Plan: "Testimony by then-Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul D. Wolfowitz, one of the chief architects of Iraq policy, before a House subcommittee on Feb. 28, 2003, just weeks before the invasion, illustrated the optimistic view the administration had of postwar Iraq. He said containment of Hussein the previous 12 years had cost 'slightly over $30 billion,' adding, 'I can't imagine anyone here wanting to spend another $30 billion to be there for another 12 years.' As of May, the Congressional Research Service estimated that Congress has approved $208 billion for the war in Iraq since 2003."

Well this is really unfair to criticize Mr. Wolfowitz in this way. I mean, did you expect him to have PERFECT KNOWLEDGE or something? I can't bring myself to read the full interview with him in this month's Atlantic Monthly. I saw some quotes though and they were enough to make me ill. This man, like nearly all of those in Mr. Bush's orbit, never NEVER admit a mistake. There just wasn't enough information is their line. The sad thing is, it seems to me the majority of the American people buy that line.

No comments: