Sunday, June 12, 2005

Mother shut boy in basement to protect him from pit bull / 12-year-old was killed by family dog; owner sees death as tragic accident but defends the breed as loving pets: "'I put him down there, with a shovel on the door,'' said Faibish, who had left the boy alone with the dogs on June 3 to run some errands. 'He had a bunch of food. And I told him, 'Stay down there until I come back.' Typical Nicky, he wouldn't listen to me.''

Faibish said she was concerned that the male pit bull, Rex, was acting possessive because the female, Ella, was in heat. Apparently, Nicholas found a way to get the door open and come upstairs. At that point Faibish believes he walked in while the dogs were mating and was attacked by Rex.

'It was Rex, I know it in my heart,'' Faibish said. 'My younger dog (Ella) was in heat and anyone who came near her, Rex saw as a threat. He may have been trying to mate. It was a freak accident. It was just the heat of the moment.''

Faibish felt compelled to call The Chronicle, she said, because she was upset by comments in a Saturday column that disparaged family members who own pit bulls.

In the column an Oakland surgeon who often treats bites by pit bulls said, 'when you have an animal like that in your house you are recklessly endangering your family.''

'They made it sound like we put our kids in a war zone,'' Faibish said in a phone conversation. 'That's not true. My kids got along great with (the dogs). We were never seeing any kind of violent tendencies.''"

Yeah, they got along so great she had to PUT HER CHILD IN THE BASEMENT! I guess it was out of the question to put the fucking DOGS IN THE BASEMENT you asshole! Jesus Christ Almighty, I just don't understand human beings.

No comments: